Thursday, July 02, 2015

Star Trek VGR Episode 26 - Cold Fire

"An Ocampan helps Kes with her mental abilities as the crew encounter a being who appears to be the Caretaker's female counterpart."

I liked this episode. Voyager crew finds out that there is another Caretaker out there, a female. They venture off to track her down. They stumble upon a space station, full of Ocampan. This is a real surprise as Kes always thought that she was one of only a few Ocampan left. They meet the leader Tanis. He is played by Gary Graham, who I really like but honestly he has guest starred on TNG and Enterprise, as well as Of Gods and Men...it ruins the illusion to be on so many series as different characters!

Tanis shows Kes that she has telepathic powers beyond what she dreams. Tuvok offers to train her to improve her skills, but Tanis insists on doing it. She begins to move objects and (in a great scene) she learns how to boil water with her mind. This power gets out of control and she boils Tuvoks face!! This scene was actually horrifying, it reminded me of when Michael Jackson turned in to a werewolf in the Thriller video. That really scared the shit out of me!

The finally track down the Caretaker and it is in the form of a little girl named Susparia. Janeway expects her to help them, but she is pissed over the death of the other Caretaker and she goes nuts. She starts killing crewmembers, it really turns into a horror movie at this point. Janeway captures Susperia but shows her sympathy and lets her free. She then vanishes off of the ship. Janeway vows to convince Susperia to help them get home.

Meanwhile Tanis wants Kes to go back to the space station with him. She refuses but he gets aggressive and Neelix steps in. eventually he gives up. Tuvok takes over as Kes's trainer. Fantastic episode!

26 down 146 to go

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't watched Voyager in forever, but I remember only liking Kes. When she finally left (spoiler!!), that's when I lost interest. I guess that's an unpopular opinion, since everybody seems to hate Kes.

Mugato said...

I looooove Kes. I can't believe she leaves!!

Unknown said...

Then that actress never went anywhere, right? Hold on, I'm gonna look her up...

Um... I regret doing that. WARNING: Do NOT look at current pictures of actress Jennifer Lien unless you want all of your hopes and dreams to be shattered.