Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Star Trek Deep Space 9 - Final Thoughts

Wow, so I managed to finish another Star Trek series. DS9 took me a little over a year to complete, which is pretty quick considering TNG took me two full years. I desperately want to say that I enjoyed DS9 better than TNG, but this may just be me in the afterglow and in my heart I know that this isn't true. But! It is pretty damn close.

I did not consistently watch the show when it was originally on TV. I caught only episodes here and there. So this is the first time I had seen the series in its entirety. I was pleasantly surprised at how well written, well acted and well directed it was. The show always looked great, especially the space scenes ... they really nailed this down. While TOS and TNG had a bunch of great episodes, DS9 had a few phenomenal episodes. Mainly the ones in which Sisko goes to Earth as an alternate self. Now I'm not one for social commentary in my TV shows, I watch TV to get away from real life and not to be preached to, but DS9 did this so well that you can't help but get swept up in it.

The show knew exactly how to mix up the episodes. They would do a Worf plot and then follow it up with a Bashir plot and then follow that up with a comic relief Quark plot. They mixed it up so well that it never dragged (except that episode where Quark dresses like a woman ... get it? dragged?? whatever). I would say that even at it's worst, DS9 was average. That is saying a lot.

So now I have to watch Insurrection and then followed by the dreaded Voyager. I have been told by many people that I will not make it through Voyager. I will make it through, simply because at this point I have to. I barely watched any Voyager episodes when they originally aired and in fact I can't recall ever seeing reruns of this show either. Is it really as bad as everyone says?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

DS9 is probably the best Trek show, but Next Gen is probably more entertaining, if that makes any sense. The quality of the writing just can't touch the chemistry of Next Gen's cast... or TOS, for that matter.

I have never made it through Voyager. I tried once a while ago, but gave up around season 3 or so. I can't remember when or why. I seem to remember a lot of Borg maybe, and none of it making any sense and just feeling wrong in terms of basic storytelling. And I watched all of Enterprise, if that gives you some idea of how bad Voyager was.

I mean to rewatch it again, however, if only because it kills me that there are Star Trek episodes out there I've never watched. Some people love it and call it their favorite Trek series. I just never got past how awful that cast was, in terms of both acting and overall characters. Seriously, what a bunch of duds.

But maybe if you do it, I'll do it too. But probably not.

Unknown said...

And congratulations!!! More people should be reading this blog, not only because of your amazing dedication to its completion, but because it's just entertaining, funny, and insightful.

Mugato said...

Crap. I was hoping you would at least say that it was decent.

Thanks for the kind words! I try to be somewhat articulate but I really am an idiot.

capt.naps said...

as some who watched Voyager

its awful

There were some good episodes though, but for some reason the actors were told to not act!! so everyone just seems really bored all the time.

The series does get better after a few seasons though, so i guess it worths sticking through. Plus Seven of Nine is the hottest woman ever to be on trek

Mugato said...

Her name should have been 7 ate 9

Unknown said...

I think Seven of Nine if ugly. Sorry, but she has the face of an ugly Swedish man. Her boobs are nice.