Thursday, May 07, 2015

Star Trek DS9 Episode 173 - Extreme Measures

As an episode, this was good. I just did not like some of the details of it. The premise is this: Bashir lures Sloan into a trap. Him and O'Brien interrogate him to the point of suicide... oops. Now in order to get the information that they seek (how to cure Odo), they use this machine to link up with his brain and access his memories. Which I do not think is too far fetched for Star Trek but it is however too convenient. Plus, I don't recall this device ever being used before. So O'Brien warns Julian that he must hurry because once Sloan's brain dies, then all memories are lost. Also, if Bashir is sill in Sloan's mind when he dies... then Julian dies as well. Really??? REALLY??? Anyway, Bashir gets the info and also learns secrets about Section 31 which he plans on using to bring down that organization. I don't know how I feel about that. In the end Bashir gets the cure and injects Odo, who is then completely cured in literally 3 seconds. This is a big mistake. They really should have killed off Odo. Nothing against him, I really liked the character. But, the series is over and Star Trek never really kills off a big name character. This would have been the perfect opportunity. It could have been one of the most dramatic things to happen in a Trek series.

173 down and 3 to go

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure the plan at this point was still to continue DS9 as theatrical features, as they did the previous two Trek series. This was before the Trek film series completely tanked.

Mugato said...

I wish they at least attempted one DS9 film.

Unknown said...

I wish they had made an actual Next Generation movie. As much as I complain about JJ Abrams, the Trek films were turned into dumb action movies before he took over the franchise.