Thursday, April 02, 2020

Star Trek Discovery: Season Two

So season 2 of Discovery. I'm a little late writing this, but I only recently watched it a few months back. Anyway, I'm going to say right away that I didn't love it. Maybe I'm just dumb, and I probably am. But, why do they have to make shows so complicated now? I have to take notes to keep every plot straight. Next Gen wasn't this complicated, it was rather straight forward. I didn't need to spend half the time trying to understand the fake science. Imagine this: Time-traveling... the future-past-present, a mirror universe, parasitic control, dreams, hallucinations, flashbacks, memory sequences and a fungus world from a different dimension. You like that stuff? Imagine it all happening in one season... it's annoying!

Oh well, that's not to say I didn't enjoy some of Discovery season 2...

Pros: Captain Pike was just as cool as I had hoped, I was left wanting more Pike. The acting is still excellent, especially Anthony Rapp. I did enjoy the Spock back story. It had one of the best throwback episodes ever, The Cage. Loved seeing the Enterprise again. Pike's sacrifice near the end of the season gave me chills. I'm a sucker for Section 31 (as seen in my fan fiction on Wattpad... but we won't ever mention that again)

Cons: They really try to push the Tilly character on you. Too much going on. The fact that I wanted more Pike, showed me how little I have invested with the main characters of Discovery. The Red Angel stuff got tiresome. The parasite stuff was really boring. Loved Georgiou in season one, sick of her in season 2.

BEST EPISODE
#8 "If Memory Serves"
Amazing throwback to The Cage where Spock and Pike meet the Talosians, and Pike falls in love with Vina. Now Burnham and Spock go to Talos to have the Talosians fix Spocks mind (as he had recently gone insane). They find out that Spock mind melded with the time traveler and sees a devastated future. This causes Spock to pretty much lose his shit. Burnham also finds out that she tormented Spock when they were both younger. What a bitch. In a classic moment Vina connects with Pike telepathically. There are consiquences to this trip however. No not only does Discovery have Section 31 after them, but Starflet is also on their ass.


I don't know where the show goes from here. The only good part of season 2 was all of the Captain Pike stuff. I guess I enjoyed Spock as well... but I mean put them together, toss them on the Enterprise and you have a way better show than Discovery!

No comments: