Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Star Trek DS9 Episode 137 - Far Beyond the Stars

Not only does the episode that follows "Who Mourns for Morn?" not suck, it may possibly be the best episode of a TV show ever. The premise is simple and in fact rather standard DS9 faire. Sisko has a vision, goes unconscious and gets thrown into Earths past. Now here is where this episode goes from Science Fiction to something much much more. There was the episode in which Sisko goes back in time to "become" the man that saves Earth from totalitarian take over. Although that episode was full of a lot of deep rooted meaning apart from the Sci-Fi element, it was still heavily "Star Trek". This episode however, turns into 100% not Sci-Fi nor Star Trek.

A great aspect of "Far Beyond the Stars" is that all of the main characters play totally human roles. This allows them to show their range as actors and they are all incredible. It is great to see Michael Dorn and Armin Shimerman not playing hideous monsters.

The premise is that Sisko goes back to 1950's New York. He is trying to make a name for himself as a Sci-Fi writer. He is working for a Sci-Fi Magazine. His stories are loved by everyone in the office but they will not publish it because of the potential backlash of having a black author. Finally they figure out a way to get one of his stories into the magazine, it is approved by the editor (the somewhat closeted racist Mr. Pabst/Odo) and sent off to print. But, the results are incredibly heartbreaking.

There is a scene at the end in which Benjamin finally has had enough with the racism, the oppression and being treated like garbage. He just snaps and has a complete mental breakdown. What a fucking performance by Avery Brooks. I actually got choked up. Which shocked the shit out of me because not only is this Star Trek, but I always assumed I was the least sympathetic person on the planet...evidently this is not true! That is why this episode is so damn good, it nearly got me to cry! So bizarre. Anyway, I suggest everyone watch this episode now, if only for the fantastic acting.

137 down and 39 to go

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have often referred to this episode as the best Trek episode ever. I'm not sure if that's true, but it's definitely in my top five. It's just... perfect. Avery Brooks is the best actor to ever appear on Star Trek.

Mugato said...

I would have to agree. I didn't watch much DS9 when it came out and I actually had never seen this episode before, but wow this episode is amazing.

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Wow. I need to watch this one now.