Thursday, October 24, 2013

Star Trek TNG: Episode 131 - Relics

"The Enterprise investigates a vessel that crashed on the surface of a Dyson sphere 75 years ago."

The Dyson Sphere is actually a real theory. It is basically the idea that a giant sphere could be built around a star and all of it's planets, in order to better harness it's energy. Evidently it can also pivot on a ball and never loses suction ... a little vacuum cleaner humor for you. This is the stupidest and most impractical thing that I have ever heard, in fact even Freeman Dyson himself said it's stupid.

Of course, what makes this episode great is the appearance of Scotty. James Doohan seemed to have some trouble with his delivery, but nonetheless I love these throwback episodes. I always felt bad for Scotty too, he didn't seem to fit in with the original crew. Then in the movies, while everyone else just looked like slightly older versions of their show counterparts ... Scotty comes out looking like Mr. Belvedere.

I felt bad for James Doohan too, he put up with a lot of tough shit in his life, crappy childhood, typecast, divorces, sickness, raped in prison. I have read his autobiography and he was an interesting guy. For instance, he took part in the invasion of Normandy where he was shot six times ... beat that LaForge!

130 down 49 to go

6 comments:

capt.naps said...

doohan is my favorite Rammstein song

DOO

DOO HAN

DOOHAN MICH

whatever...this was a good episode. I met james doohan once...seemed like a nice guy

Mugato said...

haha that was funny. I have to go listen to that album, it was horribly awesome.

Donald said...

I fucking love this episode.

"I was flying starships when your great grandfather was in di-ah-pers!"

He does look like Mister Belvedere.

It is really weird when you rewatch the orginal series and see how handsome James Doohan was. He really let himself go.

But... this episode is just great fun. I've probably rewatched this episodes about ten thousand times.

Donald said...

I also did not know he wrote an autobiography. I guess I should read that.

Mugato said...

I really enjoyed the Takei autobiography as well. But the Doohan one was the best.

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Love this episode. Easily, one of my favorites. It was nice to see LaForge being kind of a dick.