Saturday, April 21, 2012

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was made in 1979 but for some reason it looks worse than the show from 1969. Everything about it is rushed and lazy. The script itself is just the Pilot episode to the original Phase II series. The final production was rushed and has always been considered "unfinished" by those that had worked on it. It's missing all of the great Kirk sarcasm, he's just so serious in this film. McCoy and Spock are great in this movie though. In fact, it's Spock that really carries it.

Damn everybody looks so friggin old. They all aged so terribly, especially Doohan and Nimoy. The special effects just suck, plain and simple. The sound effects also suck. The bridge is dingy looking and the uniforms look lame. At least the new theme song is awesome. The movie moves at a snails pace and it seemingly goes nowhere at times. Probably because they tried to stretch out a 50 minute episode into a 2+ hour movie.

So what do I like about the movie? Well, the plot is interesting. V'gr is a deadly cloud type thing that threatens to destroy Earth. Kirk gets the band back together and takes the Enterprise to stop this thing. The greatest scene is when Spock goes space walking and does a mind-meld with V'gr. Come to find out this thing is actually Voyager 6. Good twist. The ending is sort of predictable and the addition of Ilia is rather pointless (although she's oddly sexy). It was good to see Kirk as Admiral and the rest of the crew in their new careers.

5 comments:

Donald said...

When you look up this movie on Netflix, they tell you, "Customers who like this movie also like Outland, 2001, and having their balls scraped with a cheese grater."

The only good things about this movie are the performances by Persis Khambatta as Ilia and Stephen Collins as Commander Decker. I love Decker and think he's one of the coolest Trek characters ever. It's just a shame this movie isn't about, you know, they crew from the show!

I can't remember the last time I've actually sat through this movie all the way to the end. But I can tell you when I'll do it again: NEVER.

Capt naps said...

The poster for this movie looks like the poster for Moonwalker...coincidence ??? Probably
I liked the basic plot of it though ...it had a real somber tone especially for a trek film.
The bald lady was an alien that would drive a man crazy if he had sex with her...so basically a regular female. Such a stupid alien power...sex power. What is this? Dune??

Mugato said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that hated it. I would rather watch Moonwalker.

Donald said...

So a while ago I reviewed all of the Star Trek movies. I'm going to post links to my reviews as you do yours, because I'm an arrogant piece of shit who'll run over his grandmother if he thought it might add another notch to his website's hit count. What a dick.

Anyway:

http://blessedarethegeeks.blogspot.com/2009/04/star-trek-motion-picture.html

Justin Garrett Blum said...

I read the Marvel Comics adaptation of this film before I ever saw the movie. There's no point to me saying that, really, but it wasn't a bad adaptation.

Conceptually, I like the film. it's mad slow, though. I only have the patience to watch it, like, once per decade.