Sunday, April 15, 2012

Star Trek Phase II: Pilot - Episode 3

Normally I would not touch these fan made series. Phase II however is much different. For one it is Paramount approved and also Gene Roddenberry Jr. is a consulting producer. The main draw for me to this series is the many great guest stars, including George Takei and Walter Koenig. This is the first time I have ever watched any of these ... so here goes nothing.

PILOT - COME WHAT MAY
Well, hmmm. Not sure what to make of it. Technically this isn't considered an "official" episode anyway. The plot is basically The Enterprise encounter some alien girl. Nothing special really. I'll be honest too, the acting is fucking terrible. BUT. The visuals are fucking amazing. Great guest stars too, Eddie Paskey that played Lt. Leslie in a billion episodes and the dude that played the transporter guy Kyle.

Ep. 1 - IN HARMS WAY
Wow.  A huuuge improvement from the Pilot. This plot is pretty damn awesome. During the whole Doomsday Machine fiasco with Matthew Decker, the time line had been altered. Kirk now commands the Farragut. This episode involves going back in time to the 2000's and also an excellent scene with the Guardian of Forever. Guest stars are the guy that played Matthew Decker and Barbara Luna from the episode Mirror, Mirror (still looks pretty good). Worth a watch if your bored.

Ep. 2 - TO SERVE ALL MAY DAYS
OK, everybody. This is honestly a must watch. No shit. With every episode the acting is improving vastly, in fact everybody is very good (with the guy that plays Sulu being exceptional) .... sadly the only one that still sucks is James Cawley that plays Kirk. So anyway, something weird happens to Checkov during a battle with the Klingons. He begins to age very rapidly. Enter one hell of a performance from Walter Koenig. The episode also guest stars the hot hippie girl from the Way to Eden (still looks decent).

Ep. 3 - WORLD ENOUGH AND TIME
HOLY SHIT. Remember when I said that episode 2 was a must watch ... well it still is. But, if you are to ever watch only one episode of Phase II, well this is the one!  The kid that plays Sulu is excellent and this actress Christina Moses that plays Alana is phenomenal. The biggest reason to watch this though, is the unbelievable performance of George Takei. Simply amazing. He also has some really impressive fight scenes and is in great shape for a 70 year old man. The story was written by DC Fontana and it's very creative.  Oh and we also get to see how bad Yeoman Rand has aged. Watch this shit NOW.

So I planned on watching one episode and ended up watching 4. So I guess the series must be pretty decent.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dc Fontana is a g-g-g-g-girl !!!!! Anyways I have never watched any of these episodes but watched a clip on YouTube and I couldn't stand it because the guy doing Kirk looked stupid
Kirk is a jerk

Mugato said...

The guy that plays Kirk is the only one that really sucks. But seriously those two episodes are awesome.

Donald said...

Well, you've got this trekkie beat: Here's some Star Trek I've never watched.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. You have me intrigued, I'll admit that.

Donald said...

Uggh... I watched about five minutes of episode one. This is a really well done fan series... but no. I can't do it.

Mugato said...

I'm telling you. Just give the episode with Takei a shot. He is really good in it.

Donald said...

Uggggggggggh!!!

Fine.

Mugato said...

haha. I feel the same way watching these. Thank god I'm almost done, although I'm really not looking forward to watching the Star Trek movies...but I suppose I must before I can get to TNG.

Donald said...

The Star Trek movies are awesome!

Justin Garrett Blum said...

I've honestly never even heard of these. I'll give them a shot if you can watch them for free somewhere online.

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Okay, I'm watching episode 3 right now on YouTube. Yeah...what the fuck is with this guy playing Kirk. He can't even sit in the chair the right way. This guy would be a better Lt. Barclay. He also looks like he's constipated half the time.

It's funny how you don't really notice acting until it's bad.

Holy shit...this guy playing Scotty. *shakes head*

Now I know why I've never heard of this.

Justin Garrett Blum said...

But with all of that said, the plot is actually kind of interesting. I like the idea of the girl stuck in a state of quantum uncertainty.

Mugato said...

Yeah, the Kirk guy sucks. It's his show, so he was probably like "fuck you all, I'm playing Kirk". But, he ruins it.

The movies ARE awesome. I guess I'm really just dreading having to watch the 1st one.