Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Star Trek TNG: Episode 24 - Skin of Evil

"An evil, tar-like creature holds Troi hostage on an alien world". Sounds kind of dumb? Well it is, sorta. The episode is a total TOS throwback. The tar creature looks stupid, sounds stupid and well is just plain stupid. But, at times the thing was a bit creepy I must admit. He embodies all of the negativity of the planets previous inhabitants. It doesn't understand 'good'. I have a million jokes for this episode that I'm not going to touch... Anyway, it kills Tasha Yar. Yes, she's dead. I couldn't believe that she was only in one season?? Whenever I thought of TNG, I always thought of Yar. And she was only in 24 episodes. Odd. The funeral scene was pretty good. Solid acting all around. I can't say that I will miss her because to be honest the acting of Denise Crosby just didn't hold up to the rest of the cast.

ST TNG: 23 down 155 to go

9 comments:

Capt naps said...

This episode gets a lot of hate it seems online but I actually really liked it. The tar baby monster was a pretty effective villain I thought and it was cool to see a regular cast memember get killed instead of random red shirt (even if the regular cast member was Crosby). The tar monster seemed like more of a baddie from fantasy instead of sci fi (the negative remains of a race of titans?! Doesn't even make sense but has a certain mythic quality about it)

Mugato said...

I wouldn't say it was terrible. It got a bit goofy at times, but all in all it was watchable. ....did you really just say tar baby

Capt naps said...

Tar baby means being caught in a sticky situation which the crew was in this episode

Mugato said...

that's what my grandmother calls sugar babies candy ... and she's from Georgia if you get my drift

Capt naps said...

What did she call Brazil Nuts?

Donald said...

So Yar was killed by Tar?

Mugato said...

Answer a) Yar was indeed killed by Tar

Answer b) n**** toes

Donald said...

What did she call black people?

Mugato said...

She calls Brazil Nuts "black people" toes. Very classy