Friday, June 29, 2012

Star Trek TNG: Episode 34 - Unnatural Selection

Wow, my nightmare has come true ... an entire Dr. Pulaski themed episode. I now know who the worst character is Star Trek is. She just sucks.

First the Enterprise finds the USS Lantree and everyone on it has died of old age. They trace the problem to this planet that has been 'creating?' telepathic kids?? Or something. Their minds are so advanced that they send out antibodies to kill diseases before they even get near them. This is what has been attacking people and causing them to age. Pulaski and Data go down to the planet and she gets the disease. She's rapidly aging, to be honest she looks the same. There is no cure either, so for a minute I'm thinking that maybe they kill her off. To my dismay they do not. Picard takes a piece of her hair and uses the DNA to correct her cells while she beams up. This has never before been attempted .... and for some reason they seem to never use it again.

ST TNG: 33 down 145 to go

7 comments:

Donald said...

"She's rapidly aging, to be honest she looks the same. "

That made me laugh out loud. It's true. Instead of putting on old lady makeup, they probably just put the actress on camera with no makeup at all.

Here's the thing about this episode -- and maybe I'm misremembering the plot details -- but didn't they manage to cure aging with the transporter? So why isn't everybody young? Why does anybody have any diseases at all? Just put them through the transporter.

And here's my next question: They went back to being young because of their DNA? Does DNA age? Does that make any sense at all?

Capt naps said...

It seems like if you can take some one apart by the atom and put them back together I seems like you could cure anything wrong with them. Oops my arm is blown off...beam them up

Then again I don't actually see anyone with any missing arms on star trek

Justin Garrett Blum said...

I've got to admit, I never had a problem with Pulaski. She was aiight.

Donald said...

Justin is a total granny groper.

Hey... is that an expression or did I just invent that?

Alternate expressions for people who want to have intercourse with old people:

senior sucker

geriatric tickler

Old dirty asser

Anybody else?

Mugato said...

haha granny groper. I actually did try to find something attractive about her but she just looks to much like my junior high gym teacher. But, yeah ... they did figure out how to reverse the aging process by using DNA??? You're right, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Donald said...

So I can't remember if you mentioned this in your TOS reviews, but actress Diana Muldaur actually appeared in a couple episodes back then... and she was kinda hot:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Diana_Muldaur

Mugato said...

I did mention that she had nice globes. She was attractive though ... although she still looked old back then.