Saturday, May 12, 2012

Star Trek TNG: Episode 1/2 - Encounter at Farpoint

First off, TNG is an awesome series. I would say the best Star Trek series. That being said, Encounter at Farpoint is a bit lame. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot that I like about this episode, but it has the typically awkward flow of a pilot episode. The first 10 minutes are pretty shitty actually, the production quality, effects and even the color all suck. The general plot is just ok. It is the first few days of the new Enterprise mission and Captain Picard is getting used to the ship. Just before they can even embark on a journey they are interrupted by the super-being known as Q. In typical Trek fashion this being claims humans to be evil and sends them on a test. This plot has been used a billion times! Anyway, Q is a decent character.

What Encounter at Farpoint does effectively is introduce you to the characters. You get to see what kind of ride TNG is about to take you on. It's not just a sci-fi show, it has so much more depth to it. I always called it a Soap-Opera in Space", with all due respect. This is what makes this show so good. Right off the bat all the actors pretty much have their characters down. Picard is already angry and irritated! What will be interesting is to watch the development of the Riker character. He is so overwhelmed and wild-eyed in these early episodes. ..... I actually owned these episodes on VHS.


ST TNG: 2 down 176 to go


5 comments:

capt.naps. said...

TNG was probably the most consistently good star trek series....except I didn't really care for most of the first season.

and every episode was on the holodeck

Mugato said...

Season One was a bit slow going. Oh I totally forgot to mention McCoy's guest appearance. Very cool.

Donald said...

Season 1 isn't great TV, but I can always watch Farpoint. I think it's a pretty neat story and it's a lot of fun.

It's also worth watching if only to see Michael Bell in a costarring role. I remember when I was a kid and I heard that actor open his mouth and I knew that was Duke from G.I. Joe!

Mugato said...

Holy crap that is Duke!

Justin Garrett Blum said...

I've always liked Farpoint. There are a few things about it where if you were to see it after viewing any of the later seasons, you'd find it pretty weird, but as a sci-fi story, it's pretty solid (even if it is rehashing something they did in TOS a bunch of times). I really loved how they revisited this episode in the final episode of TNG (which, by the way, is probably one of my favorite episodes of any Star Trek series ever).