Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Star Trek VI: Undiscovered Country

This may be my favorite Original cast Star Trek movie. It's at least tied with Star Trek 4. What a vast improvement over the previous Shatner directed piece of crap called Final Frontier. Ever wonder what a kick-ass Russian Spy novel, mixed with Star Wars with a sprinkling of Mad Max would look like? Yeah, me neither. But, this movie is just that ... and it's awesome.

The movie is solid across the board (even though it had a smaller budget than Final Frontier). The cast is great and the guest stars which include Kurtwood Smith, Kim Cattrall, Christopher Plummer and a cameo by Christian Slater ... are fantastic. I love seeing Sulu as the Cpt. of the Excelsior. A few things that I don't like: Kirk's lobster bib uniform, Kirk fights Kirk and the Klingon that looks like an Ewok.

The premise is basically this; someone is trying to sabotage a peaceful negotiation (spoiler: it's Odo) between Starfleet and the Klingons. Kirk and Bones go to Klingon jail and are defended by Worf. Stuff happens, the end. Just watch the fucking movie. It's exciting, funny and surprisingly poignant (whatever the hell that means).

6 comments:

Justin Garrett Blum said...

This was a really good movie to go out on for the original cast. When I was in high school and deep into my Star Trek fandom, this was playing on HBO, like, constantly, so I watched it about a billion times. I wish I were watching it now. Then again, I'm at work, so I wish I were doing anything else right now.

Mugato said...

I watched it in work on my IPod. Well worth the risk.

Mugato's boss said...

You're fired!!!!

Donald said...

It's only a matter of time before the Mugato is a cast member on Celebrity Apprentice.

Donald said...

Anyway, I like this movie a lot, but it has a couple flaws in my opinion. for starters, it's not really a faithful Star Trek film, since the Starfleet presented in this film is one based on military conquest and not scientific exploration. I understand that it would be hard for people like Kirk to trust the Klingons, but to think that they might dismantle Starfleet just because the Kingons want peace is ridiculous.

And then there is the mystery subplot, which wasn't very well written. Why did they ever think that the gravity boots would link anything to anybody?

But... still a good film because it was an interesting story and the cast did a great job, especially Nimoy who was fantastic.

Mugato said...

I was kind of dissapointed by the revelation on who the conspirators were. It was exactly the people I suspected from the beginning! I like when they rip off the guys mask at the end ala Scooby Doo and it's Odo. That is supposed to be the big shock ... but the guy literally looks like a weasal! Of course he's a spy.