Thursday, December 01, 2011

STAR TREK (2009)

STARDATE: 2258

I figured this would be the way to go, as apposed to just jumping into TOS. The movie depicts the entire TOS Enterprise crew in their early days. So it just made sense to watch it now. Anyway...to the movie.

I'm not going to do a play-by-play of the entire Film, I'm sure we've all seen it. I can say that I was pleasantly surprised by the movie. I was nervous at the alternate timeline idea, I typically hate this. But it was perfectly written and JJ Abrams did an excellent job at executing the script. The premise was totally plausible and it fits into the Star Trek universe nicely. Spock is locked in a battle with Nero (a Romulan) and they accidentally end up going back in time through a black hole. When you go back in time, time is slightly altered. So the audience is thrown back into a prequel of TOS in which facts are a bit off ... but not too much.

I love the idea of having Christopher Pike in the film. And, the dynamic between Kirk and Spock (basically as enemies) is excellent. The entire cast is top notch. I think Zach Quinto and Chris Pine really shined. And honestly Simon Pegg was a really good Scotty. Also you can't beat a cameo by Leonard Nimoy. I wish William Shatner was in it though ... they could have had Chris Pine Kirk meet William Shatner Kirk and then he can see how fat he ends up being. Seeing the Kelvin and the Enterprise in probably the best quality production to date was really cool. So, like I said I was surprised. The writing, production and acting in this film are all home runs; very entertaining. GRADE: A

7 comments:

capt.naps said...

this film was surprisingly good. I expected it too suck.

I hope they eventually come out with some new films at some point , the cast was really good

Mugato said...

supposedly they are coming it with another in 2013. For my sake I hope that it takes place after Voyager!

Donald said...

I'm not going to say too much about this, since I know a lot of people liked this movie and I don't want to spoil their fun. So this is all I'll say: This movie ain't Star Trek.

Mugato said...

Really? You didn't like it. I'm sure you did a blog on this, I'll have to go back and read that.

Donald said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mugato said...

Wow, you totally ripped that movie apart. But, in a very intelligent Star Trek way. I totally see all of those errors, and I was very disappointment that Finnegan wasn't around. And I did actually not like the plot that much, but the acting and action overall was just so good.

The thing is that either you completely buy into the alternate timeline or not. I typically hate this idea, but I had to believe it in order to be able to even press play. Given this, I chalked up any weird occurrence or screwed up plot line to the fact that time has been altered.

Donald said...

Here's my overall opinion about the Star Trek movie: It was Star Trek made by people who don't know like Star Trek intended for people who don't like Star Trek.

It was made after Enterprise and the last couple of Next Gen movies all tanked. So the studio seemed to say, "We've got to completely retool the Star Trek franchise because it's not working!"

This was a silly thing to say, since they should've just said, "Hey... those last couple movies weren't that good and Enterprise sucked. Let's go back to making Star Trek that was good." Instead, they tried to turn Star Trek into Star Wars. Don't get me wrong... I love Star Wars, and there was a lot about this movie that was very cool. But... it wasn't Star Trek.