Saturday, December 31, 2011

Star Trek TOS: Episode 28 - CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER

I'm not sure that I can say that I have a favorite Classic Star Trek episode. But, If I do this one could be it. Yeah, it seems typical and I'm sure a lot of people say that this is their favorite, but this episode is near perfect. City on the Edge has an interesting plot, meaningful subject matter, action, comedy, drama, suspense and amazing acting. I mean it has Joan Collins, and she doesn't dissapoint. But honestly Shatner and Kelly are right on par with her.

Sure there's holes; they can't find McCoy yet he's hiding right there behind a rock, The Guardian itself seems so unlikely, Spock builds a complex machine out of "stone tools and bear skins"... but who cares. The episode starts with McCoy accidently injecting himself with drugs and turning into a crazed junkie...winning. He escapes down to the planet and ends up jumping back in time to the depression by going through the Guardian. By doing this he changes history and the Enterprise ceases to exist. Kirk and Spock go back to the same time period in order to fix the future.

After assaulting a police officer, Kirk and Spock end up in a mission. Here they meet Edith, the head of the shelter. Kirk falls in love with her and Spock builds a device that can read the timeline. They find out that McCoy screwed up the future by saving Edith. Kirk must now let her die. He does this with great anguish. It's a great script and the writing is just awesome .... Harlan Ellison.

ST TOS COUNTDOWN: 29 down 51 to go

5 comments:

Donald said...

I remember the Keeper of Forever appearing in an episode of the animated series (you're going to watch that too, right?), but that's it. It's such a weird but cool concept that I don't understand why they don't go there all the time.

Anyway... brilliant episode. It's not my pick for the best Trek episode of all time, but I'd probably put it in my top five.

Mugato said...

Yeah I'm definitely watching the animated series. It seems like a very useful asset, that they NEVER use ever again.

Mugato said...

Also, I'm curious to find out what your #1 episode is. When I get to it, let us know.

Donald said...

My favorite episode of Trek or just of TOS?

Mugato said...

I guess just TOS ... for now.