Saturday, December 24, 2011

Star Trek TOS: Episode 23 - A TASTE OF ARMAGEDDON

"On Eminiar VII, the Enterprise finds a civilization at war with its planetary neighbor. Unable to discern any signs of battle from orbit, Captain Kirk leads a landing party to the surface where he discovers the entire war is fought by computer."

I really like the concept behind this episode. It's interesting and a bit spooky. It just doesn't seem to make sense. At first we hear that these planets fight wars virtually through computer so I'm thinking, "that's cool, it eliminates human death tolls" ... then we find out that the humans that are virtually killed, then go into an incineration booth and kill themselves. So what's the point???!?!?! I never really got it I guess.



Nontheless, I like the episode. Scotty gives a solid performance and Kirk is cool as always. In the end negotiations are in effect between the two rivals. This episode reminds me of a movie I saw when I was younger. All I remember is a scene in which the president is on Air Force One and his secretary says to him something like "we just lost Philadelphia" - meaning the Russians just nuked it. This scene was far scarier than if they actually showed the city being destroyed. Anyway, that's it.

ST TOS COUNTDOWN: 24 down 56 to go

2 comments:

Donald said...

This is one of those episodes that seems really clever when you first watch it, but breaks own when you actually examine the logic of the story. But as you said, it's very entertaining.

Capt naps said...

Want some Armageddon?
No
Well how about just a taste!?
Fine