Thursday, December 08, 2011

Star Trek TOS: Episode 6 - MUDD'S WOMEN


This is why Classic Star Trek is so damn wonderful. Never has a show introduced so many memorable characters than Star Trek. I’m not just talking about the crew but every “villain” or guest star seems to stick in everyone’s mind … from the salt sucker to Charlie X. But, who is better than Harry Mudd?? I’ll go as far as to say that Mudd is one of the best characters in TV history. Has there ever been a villain more likable? Maybe, George Bush Jr. comes close. Really though, Roger Carmel did an awesome job with this portrayal.

Ater the Enterprise chases down a rogue cargo vessel, they transport the ship’s crew over to the Enterprise. It consists of Hardcourt Fenton Mudd (aka Walsh) and three lovely women. I’m always partial to the dark haired girls from Star Trek and this one is no exception. All the men become uncontrollably horny. Even Spock is acting like a giddy school boy. Kirk discovers that Mudd is a wanted criminal and a little bit crazy as well. 

The Enterprise is on its way to Rigel 7 to pick up some well needed dillithium crystals. Mudd plans to sell off his women to the miners. Kirk soon figures out that Mudd has a special drug that makes his women irresistible and beautiful. While on Rigel 7 one of the women is sick of being treated like a sex object and refuses to take her pill, she turns ugly. Finally Kirk and Mudd give her the drug but it’s actually a placebo, nonetheless she still turns beautiful. So I guess the theme of this episode is that booty is in the … I mean beauty is in the whispering eye …  I mean beauty is in the eye of the penis holder … no that’s not right, I mean beauty is in the eye of the beholder! That was really childish. Is that even the meaning of this episode? I have no idea???

Mudd’s Woman is an awesome episode, it’s not action packed but it is very funny (especially Harry Mudd) and it’s full of wonderful sexual innuendo. I am proud of myself for picking up on this … I’m not sure what it means if anything, but the names of the woman are Ruth, Eve and Magda. All bible references, with Magda being Magdalene. I love that in the end it seems as if Kirk and Mudd have become friends. Now I can’t wait for “I, Mudd”.

ST TOS COUNTDOWN: 7 down 73 to go

6 comments:

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Yeah, weird ending, but an awesome episode. They should have had a plot in The Next Generation where it turns out that Mudd froze himself. Except, I can't think of any modern day actors who would have been as awesome in the role.

Justin Garrett Blum said...

This just blew my mind:

"During the early years of Star Trek: The Next Generation, attempts were made to write an episode of that series which would have featured Harry Mudd, revived from cryogenic suspension. Sadly, Roger C. Carmel died before the episode could be produced. Purportedly, that script was rewritten into the TNG episode "The Neutral Zone". (citation needed • edit)"

Source: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Harcourt_Mudd

Mugato said...

Well, that was weird! I guess you have a Star Trek mind.

Donald said...

I can't believe we're only six episodes in, and this series has already made Enterprise its bitch. Has any show ever had a better run of episodes that TOS's first season?

And I'm gonna put my thinking cap on and try to imagine what current actor could portray Harry Mudd in a new Trek movie...

Just off the top of my head, I don't think Robbie Coltraine would be bad. Actually... he'd be pretty damn good.

Mugato said...

Robbie Coltraine, a very good idea. I thought of maybe Mark Addy, but he may be a bit too comedic.

Donald said...

I had to google his name to know who you were talking about. Yeah, that guy's a good choice.

Or who's that fat guy from Curb Your Enthusiasm? He'd be ok.

Or here's a wildcard pick... Jeremy Piven. He could do it.

But knowing Hollywood they'd just go with that John Favreau guy.