Thursday, December 15, 2011

Star Trek TOS: Episode 13 - THE CONSCIENCE OF THE KING


"Captain Kirk crosses paths with an actor suspected of having been a murderous dictator many years before." 

The Cute Captain is in rare form in this one. Shatner’s corny and hacky performance is absolute gold. Kirk is hitting on this woman for the entire episode and he’s putting on his phony nice guy persona.  His flirting skills are so terrible.  In this case Kirks’ thinking with his phaser and not his brain nearly gets him killed.

It starts out with an acting group performing MacBeth on the Enterprise. I still hate when they use these out of date references. I mean wouldn’t Avenue Q be just as classic? So, Kirk becomes obsessed with this actress. So he lays it on thick. But, the jokes on him as she is trying to kill him.

You see, a few years back there had been the head of an Earth colony named Kodos. He turned into a dictator and killed half of the population. He disappeared and is presumed dead, but never found. Only three people can identify him. Some guy that I forget his name, Lt. Riley and Kirk. Well Kodos is disguised as an actor in this group and Kirk’s new girl is killing off anyone that can identify him (she’s his daughter – and he doesn’t know that she’s doing this).Spock and McCoy suspect something is wrong and investigate, like too buddy cops.

Lt, Riley plays a major role, much like he did in Naked Time. He is poisoned, but survives and then goes after Kodos. Kirk stops him though because he’s not sure that this actor is truly the former dictator. Then Kodos admits his true identity and shows remorse. His daughter goes insane and tries to shoot Kirk. I mean she really turns into a freaking lunatic.  And the thing is, before this I didn’t think she was that hot and now I find her super sexy. She shoots, Kodos jumps in front of Kirk and is killed. Case Closed. Rather mediocre episode, but the acting was pretty damn spot on. In any case, it's still better than Trip getting pregnant. Oh and Uhura plays a space harp and sings, dreadfully.

ST TOS COUNTDOWN: 14 down 66 to go

5 comments:

Donald said...

Gonna disagree with you again, Mugato. This is one of my all time favorite Trek episodes. I just think it's so clever and so well done. Great story, interesting themes, and a very clever concept all come together perfectly.

Also, I'm a Shakespeare fan and a Star Trek fan, so I get to watch both at the same time! I will admit that the story is a bit forced and contrived and overly plotted, but I don't care because it's so much fun.

Naps said...

Kodos later appears as an alien on the simpsons

Mugato said...

I'm not even sure that Kodos is this guys name.

I was just telling Naps how by the time of this episode, Shakespeare will be irrelevant. I'm not very smart.

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Well, given that they've been performing Shakespeare plays for something like 500 years, I'm willing to concede he could still be relevant in the future.

I'm with Donald on this one--I remember this episode being pretty clever.

Mugato said...

I'm just saying, why can't they reference something newer. Like Jersey Boys, now that would be hilarious.