Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Star Trek: The Next Generation Wrap-Up

I can't believe I actually finished watching all seven seasons of TNG. I started watching on May 12 2012 so it almost took me two years to do this. There were a few times that I almost gave up, many times that I had gotten worn out, but each time I pushed on. Now I know what it feels like to complete a triathlon or finish the Tour de France or survive multiple tours in Vietnam. I can completely sympathize with Vietnam Vets.


Overall, Next Generation is an amazing show. Great actors, interesting plots and solid directing. Sometimes I can get down on the show, but don't listen to me, I'm just a miserable creature....in reality Next Gen is possibly one of the ten greatest TV series of all time.


I did learn a few things along the way. For one, I hate Worf and for two, Q is annoying. This was a revelation because for many years I assumed that I had loved both characters. Not so much. Picard, Geordi and Data are still three of my favorite characters in all of Star Trek. Also, Troi really is as hot as I remembered her and Riker is still one cool cat. One of the best moves that Star Trek could have ever made was taking the idea that the Ferengi were some kind of evil villain and completely transforming them into a civilization of scam artists. This was a brilliant move. It is such an original "bad guy" character and they make me laugh every time.


Seeing the Enterprise D always gives me a nostalgic feeling, I remember being a teen and having the toy of it hanging from my bedroom ceiling. It reminds me of being in High School and reading the Star Trek Encyclopedia during class, a book that I had stolen from one of my friends. One day we were hanging out in his bedroom and I stuffed the book under my shirt and left.....seriously I am the worst friend ever.


Anyway, that was an interesting experience. I must admit that I am nervous about Deep Space 9 because I had only watched that show sparingly when it came out. I know many people love it, so I am hoping that it can keep my attention. We shall see.

6 comments:

capt.naps said...

what about TNG movies?

Donald said...

DS9 is the best of all the Trek shows in my opinion, at least in terms of writing and acting. Sisko is my all time favorite Trek captain. Seriously. I look forward to your reviews. I have to, since this is how I'll be spending the next ten years of my life.

Mugato said...

It very well may be ten years. As for the movies, they start taking place in the middle of DS9 so I'm going to watch them that way. Technically Voyager and DS9 take place in the same time period, but no way in hell am I watching them simultaneously.

Donald said...

I have actually never seen all of Voyager. I gave up around season four or so. I will try it again when you do maybe so I can follow along.

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Boy, you really banged these out one after the other at the end. Impressive. It was fun reading about these episodes, many of which I probably haven't watched in nearly 20 years. Holy shit! I'm old!

Mugato said...

I saw the light and I just went for it. I started watching at least three episodes a day.