Monday, March 10, 2014

Star Trek TNG: Episode 179 - All Good Things... Pt. 2

....so, in the future there seems to be a "getting the band back together" scenario going on. Picard and Geordi go and pickup Data (a college professor??), then they go on Crusher's starship, then they pick up Worf (a Klingon governor) and finally hook up with Captain William Riker .... btw Troi is dead.


Anyway, Picard guides all three ships into a similar scenario...two ships survive but the future Enterprise is destroyed. Picard fails. In the end Q is impressed that Picard could simultaneously troubleshoot in the three different timelines so he decides to let humanity live.


Listen, is it the best plot? No. Is it the best finale ever? No. Is it even the best TNG episode? No. Was I happy that the entire series ended with a Q episode? Not at all. But damn it was fun and very very interesting. I will miss some of these characters; mainly Picard, Data, Riker and Geordi. Makes me a bit sad. Oh well, on to DS9.


179 down 0 to go

4 comments:

Donald said...

I might call this the best series finale ever. I might even call it the best Next gen episode ever too. I think the plot is just good sci-fi, and the way it went parallel with the first season cast (including the old retarded Data) was so much fun and so satisfying for fans who had been there since the beginning.

And I like that it ended with a Q episode. Why wouldn't it? He was awesome.

Mugato said...

It was rather incredible. I mean I wouldn't give it a 10, but it certainly gets a 9. I actually re-watched the entire thing a few days later just because it was so much fun.

Donald said...

Although I'm not really sure how humanity wins the test at the end, because Data figured everything out.

Justin Garrett Blum said...

A human created Data.

Anyway, yeah--I loved this one. I think it was a really sweet sendoff for the crew, and even if they had never made a film, this would have felt like good closure for TNG.

I'm glad they made the films, though. I'm a fan of all of them except for Generations, really.