Saturday, November 08, 2014

Star Trek DS9 Episode 80 - Little Green Men

"Quark, Rom, and Nog are accidentally thrust back in time to Roswell, New Mexico, Earth, in 1947."

Every Star Trek series has done some sort of episode where crewmembers go back in time to "our time period"; Assignment Earth, City on the Edge of Forever, Voyage Home, Time's Arrow, Futures End and Carpenter Street..to name a few.

NOBODY did it better than the Original Series, but DS9 did a good job on this one. I really enjoyed Little Green Men. The portrayal of 1940's U.S. Military and Science Division personnel was so over the top that it totally worked. The interaction between the narrow minded, hard-nosed Earthmen and the Ferengi was very entertaining. Quark was trying to work business deals, Rom was scared out of his mind and Nog was the only one with some sense. Luckily for them Odo had hidden on their vessel and was also transported back in time. Him, along with two compassionate scientists, help them to escape back to the future, too. My favorite seen is when Quark is trying to understand why the Earthmen smoke cigarettes even though it will kill them.

80 down and 96 to go

3 comments:

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Wow--never seen this one (I think I stopped watching DS9 around this point, because I went to college and for some reason stopped watching). Sounds cool, though. I'm totally going to check it out on Netflix.

Mugato said...

It's a fun episode. I enjoy when Star Trek links "real life" past events to the Star Trek Universe.

Unknown said...

This was a good episode. But for my money... I think Arrow of Time was my favorite "Back to Earth's past" episode of Star Trek. That's right, I said it.