Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Enterprise: Episode 98 - These Are The Voyages...

This was my first time actually seeing this episode. Back when Enterprise was on, I had tuned out sometime in Season three. let me just say that I am very pleased with this ending. I mean, wow, what a great episode. Brilliant idea and well executed. It starts off by showing Archer and crew on the last day of their commission. Suddenly you hear the voice of Johnathan Frakes asking the computer to pause. It's Riker on the holodeck! He then meets up with Deanna Troi. They reveal that Riker needs to make a decision on whether to tell Picard of a cover-up, he has gone into the holodeck and back to this time period in order to ease his mind. Troi tells him to be the ship chef because people always talk to the chef about their problems. So he does.

Archer is about to make a big speech on Earth, but he is contacted by Shran. Shran is asking for help in saving his kidnapped daughter. Of course Archer can't say no. Also, we see that T'Pol and Trip are still not together (it is 6 years since Terra Prime). Archer successfully saves Shran's daughter, once back on Enterprise he is visited by aliens that are seeking Shran. They are very hostile. Trip goads them into following him into a ship compartment. Then Trip causes an explosion killing all of the aliens ... and also himself. No really, this time he is actually dead. Archer makes it to his speech and gives a great one. Riker is now inspired and knows what he must do...a link to the TNG episode The Pegasus. The ending is fantastic. It shows the three Enterprise ships and does the classic speech ("These are the Voyages...) using the voices of Picard, Kirk and then Archer. And that's it. An awesome last episode.

ST ENTERPRISE COUNTDOWN: 98 down 0 to go

2 comments:

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Wow--I'd totally forgotten that Trip went out like that. I must have blocked it out, since I liked the actor so much.

Donald said...

Ok, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with your review there, Mugato.

This is my pick for the worst Trek finale of all time, and a front runner for worst over all episode of all time. I thought the story was stupid, shoe-horning in the Next Gen actors did a disservice to the Enterprise cast, and it was so poorly written and thought out that it just seemed like a joke.

I hate this episode.