Monday, January 10, 2005

Battle Royale

Not to often do I read a book and go "....damn...this is sweet". But I found myself thinking that about 20 pages into "Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami. Alright so i'm a bit late on this one, the book did after all come out in 1999. But I think it was recently dubbed into English....i think. Anyway, this book is simply the shiznick....thats right I said the shiznick. Here's the jist of it, it's very "Lord of the Flies": Set in "Japan", the government routinely selects random 9th grade classes to participate in "The Program". The Program consists of the students being stranded on a deserted Island with nothing but a backpack with food, a map, a compass and a weapon. The goal is for the kids to kill each other, until only one survives. If more than one survives after 72 hours, then they are all killed. ......I wish the U.S. did this! That would be so fun.....not really. This novel is extremely graphic, but at the same time very witty. Whats not to like?! It's just as graphic as "American Psycho" but it doesn't have the good sex scenes (pre-decapitation that is) that Psycho had. So i'd have to give "American Psycho" (one of my favorite books) the slight edge over "Battle Royale", but barely. Royale is better than "Angel of Death" though (another fav of mine). There IS a Battle Royale movie also, it's in Japanese, but it does contain lots of sexy asian women....well girls actually. Whatever....it's a good friggin' book. I have to get back into reading classic novels though, cuz this stuffs ruining my brain. Maybe next i'll read "Barney Fife and Other Characters I Have Known" by Don Knotts.

5 comments:

Mugato said...

good point. haven't you realized that i can neither spell nor use proper english! I gave that book back already!! ....i think.

Donald said...

This book does sound cool, but I'm suspicious of reading a book that was translated (or dubbed) into another language. I have nothing against books that aren't by English-speaking authors, I just don't want to read the watered-down versions of their books. So maybe I'll just rent the movie. Is there nudity?

Mugato said...

Thats actually a valid point, people that have read the japanese version...hate the translated versions. Japanese doesn't translate well at all. As for the movie, People either love it or hate it. The "downs" are that, it's a bit long, there's NO nudity and the subplots seem pointless at times. But nonetheless I'd still watch it, it may be interesting.

Donald said...

I have a friend who saw it and LOVED it. The reason I never saw it after he raved about it was because he isn't actually a friend, he's some guy I really, really hate and have no respect for his opinino. You know that kind of friend?

But I'll see it. After all, how could the guy who predicted White Noise would be the best movie of all time be wrong? When are you going to see that, by the way?

Mugato said...

I'm seeing white noise tomorrow...i'll let you know how wrong I was. As for that friend you are talking about, I know EXACTLY what you mean....in fact i'm seeing White Noise with him tomorrow. ....Come to think of it he's the same one that told me to read Battle Royale!!